Fic Recs: Proposals Edition

Our monthly fic rec is back; and to finish off such a romantic month, we have chosen Proposals as our theme! We’ve found a great selection of fics for you to enjoy, featuring all kinds of interesting prompts!

If you have some recs that aren’t there, including your own fics, please share to your heart’s content!

Please also take a look at our posting guidelines if you’re not sure what you can and cannot post on this thread! And more importantly, double check the tags on these recs to make sure you don’t end up reading something you don’t want to!

We hope you like this month’s edition! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Diamond Girl. (818 words) by Brookelocks
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Naruto
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Uchiha Obito
Additional Tags: Fluff, Alternate Universe - Modern Setting, Marriage Proposal, Inspired by Music
Series: Part 3 of Collection of One shots Inspired by music.
Summary:

He let me steal you like a thief in the night.

So lucky that we met while walkin' under ladders,

It hit me in the blink of an eye,

That you're my diamond girl,

So let me steal you for the rest of my life.

Kakashi is a little nervous, Obito is inpatient, Iruka has been waiting for this, and lets be real here, there is no way Rin won't be best man.

right question, wrong time (2969 words) by justvibing
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings, No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Umino Iruka & Uzumaki Naruto
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi
Additional Tags: Romance, Fluff, Suggestive Themes, Marriage Proposal, actually the most awkward marriage proposal ever, no angst they’re just stupid, Humor, (I hope), Fluff and Humor, Post-Fourth Shinobi War, Hokage Hatake Kakashi, Established Relationship, Happy Ending
Summary:

Kakashi wants to propose to Iruka. Iruka had the same idea. They both struggle, though.

For His Hand (2884 words) by radkoko
Rating: General Audiences
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi, Uzumaki Naruto
Additional Tags: Fluff, Marriage Proposal
Summary:

Kakashi has a big question to ask Iruka, but first he wants permission to ask from Naruto, Iruka’s only family.

Just a cliché marriage proposal (2934 words) by orphan_account
Chapters: 2/2
Rating: General Audiences
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Uchiha Sasuke/Uzumaki Naruto
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Uchiha Sasuke, Uzumaki Naruto, Haruno Sakura
Additional Tags: Fluff, Marriage Proposal, Dialogue Heavy, Because I can’t resist a lot of dialogue, no beta we die like men, this is very cliche, Naruto and Sasuke give no privacy to anyone, Naruto likes ramen
Summary:

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Just a fluffy proposal fic between Kakashi and Iruka, followed by Team 7’s usual shenanigans.

Perfect (3508 words) by ScribbleGeek
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi
Additional Tags: Fluff, Domestic Fluff, Adoption, Marriage Proposal, Alternate Universe - Modern Setting, Warm and Fuzzy Feelings
Summary:

“You know,” Iruka started as he came close enough for his partner to hear him. “This might give people the wrong idea.”

Kakashi had scratched the back of his head. “What idea? That I’m so smitten with my boyfriend that I can’t even stay away for a day? 'Cus that’s not wrong.”

Oh, there he was, the charmer.

“No,” Iruka had grinned, not willing to let Kakashi off the hook so easily. “I was thinking about the type of ideas people get when grown men stare at playing children, without any of them being his own.”

Kakashi’s face fell for a moment, then he glanced around them, as if to make sure no one had called the cops on him, and cleared his throat. “Well, I guess there’s only one way to avoid that type of misunderstanding in the future.”

When Iruka didn’t catch on, Kakashi had inhaled deeply, straightened up, and apparently gathered enough courage to speak more clearly. “I just… might have been inconsiderate when you talked about having children.”

(Or in which Iruka thinks back to his life with Kakashi before they became parents.)
(It’s just a bunch of fluff, really.)

Shinobi Code Rule #74 (2962 words) by masc_malfunction
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Uzumaki Naruto, Uchiha Sasuke, Haruno Sakura
Additional Tags: Canon-Type Violence, Fluff, Fluff and Humor, Marriage Proposal, Naruto has no idea what’s going on, this is silly and self indulgent, based off a tumblr post, I just wanted lighthearted content for my fave ninja dads, BAMF Umino Iruka, un-beta’d, #74 was an arbitrary number choice for the rule
Summary:

Shinobi Code Rule #74: The Jonin captain on a mission can officiate field marriages, but the Chuunin second in command may also officiate field marriages if the Jonin captain is the one getting married. The Genin on the mission may also officiate field marriages, but only if the Jonin captain and the 2nd in command are marrying each other.

somethin’ so real (2339 words) by mytsukkishine
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka
Additional Tags: Hatake Kakashi Is Trying, Iruka just loves Kakashi so damn much, Marriage Proposal, Rokudaime Hatake Kakashi, Community: kakairu_fest, Nine Weeks of Summer 2020
Summary:

Iruka only expects Kakashi to apologize in person, but it seems like Kakashi has other plans that involve a Rokudaime kneeling before him in the freaking mission room.

Avoiding the Question (12216 words) by Fifthnameattempt
Chapters: 4/4
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Umino Iruka & Uzumaki Naruto
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Uzumaki Naruto
Additional Tags: Mistaken intentions, Getting Together, Iruka Unofficially Adopts Naruto, Without Naruto’s Permission, Coming Out, Eventual Happy Endings, Umino Iruka accidentally being an asshole, Hatake Kakashi deliberately being an asshole, Marriage Proposal
Summary:

“Did you and Iruka-sensei have a fight or somethin’?”

“…no.”

Kakashi is avoiding Iruka, but not for the reasons Iruka thinks. Then Naruto comes home and they have to deal with their ill-advised hookup like adults. For Naruto’s sake.

Now featuring: Iruka offering Naruto a home. Iruka intentionally coming out. And Kakashi being just the worst at making a straightforward proposal; yes, even after everything else.

Cold Hands, Warm Hearts (2549 words) by vulcanhighblood
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka
Additional Tags: Fluff, Domestic Fluff, Holding Hands, Marriage Proposal, Cuddling & Snuggling, Flirting, Paperwork, Established Relationship
Summary:

Or: 5 times Iruka had cold hands and Kakashi made an excellent hand-warmer

Five Times Kakashi Was a Useless Bisexual and One Time Iruka Was a Useless Gay (4193 words) by upset_and_confused
Characters: Maito Gai | Might Guy, Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Teuchi (Naruto), Shiranui Genma
Additional Tags: I Couldn’t Stop Writing Kakashi Acting A Fool, I’m Sorry, Awkwardness, Awkward Flirting, Awkward Romance, it’s all awkward, Marriage Proposal, Miscommunication, Smitten Kakashi, Iruka Does Not Have The Patience, Original Character Thrown In For More Awkwardness
Summary:

Kakashi is cool he swears. Iruka just makes acting cool impossible and Kakashi is helplessly awkward when it comes to that face.

1 Like

I have a proposal fic of my own that I wrote for an xmas prompt :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Gift Of A Lifetime (1.4k words, Teen & Up, no CW): https://archiveofourown.org/works/28171617

1 Like

not quite a fic but i enjoy rcmclachlan’s headcanons for their proposal (and marriage)!

1 Like