DDN DECEMBER 2021 (SFW Drabbles and Doodles

Prompt: Star

Naruto grumbled under his breath, puffs of air fogging the air up in front of him. “It’s cold.” He grumbled.

Iruka laughed while Kakashi reached over and ruffled his blond hair. The boy shrunk away from the contact.

“And why’d he have to come to watch stars too?” Naruto glared at Kakashi. Kakashi and Iruka shared a secretive smile behind Naruto’s back.

“I didn’t have to come, you know.” Kakashi whispered, as they walked behind Naruto. “If it was supposed to be a family outing.”

Iruka scoffed. “I wouldn’t worry about that. He’s just pretending to not be excited tonight.”

4 Likes

Garland

“I know I asked you to decorate….but this wasn’t what I had in mind.”

Kakashi looked up from the floor where he and Naruto were carefully arranging garlands of lights together into various shapes.

“You realize we can’t leave these lights on the floor?” Iruka asked stepping around their creations on his way to the kitchen. It reminded him of Naruto’s lava floor games.

“We’re being creative and bringing out our inner artists.” Kakashi explained solemnly with Naruto nodding along.

Iruka rolled his eyes. “Just not in the living room please.”

4 Likes

Prompt 8: Garland

4 Likes

Prompt 9: Present

I think Kakashi got a bit in over his head this time XD

3 Likes

Presents

Kakashi watched Iruka as he sat on their living room floor, wrestling with the wrapping paper that he was attempting to cover on various Christmas gifts that he’d bought. He should be helping, but the sight of the normally composed Iruka losing his cool over something as mundane as wrapping paper was quite amusing.

Iruka looked at him over his shoulder. “You know, you could help instead of just laughing at my suffering.”

Kakashi shrugged his shoulders, refusing to budge. “Nope.” He stated, dodging some tape thrown his way. “Watching you is way too much fun for me to stop.”

4 Likes

String

Iruka threw the needles down on the floor and grumbled about things not going the way he wanted. He stared at the yarn pooling in his lap, then at Kakashi who sat on the sofa behind him. His head came to rest on Kakashi’s knee and he sighed.

“Why is this so hard?”

“Hmm?” Kakashi asked looking up at him over the rim of his latest book. His face was for once uncovered and Iruka marveled at it: from the mole to the tiny bits of stubble, to the nicks and scars on Kakashi’s jaw.

He smiled. “Nah, it’s nothing.”

2 Likes

Prompt 10: Tinsel

I wanted them to play with the tinsel but yeah, not happening XD

4 Likes

Had a blast doing these

5 Likes

now I cannot stop thinking of Kakashi dressed as Martha May Whovier

1 Like

OMG I NEED THAT PAKKUN ORNAMENT ON MY TREEEEE!
Sorry for all caps but it just spoke to me :green_heart:

Loving all your doodles!!!

1 Like

:joy: The mental image :joy: They would make such a pair!

Angel:

The room was toasty from the burning fire. There were two mugs of cocoa sitting on the coffee table. Christmas music was playing on the radio.

There were (way too many) boxes all over the living room.

“Iruka? What are all the boxes for?”

“They’re the Christmas decorations, silly!”

Kakashi knew they were decorating tonight, but, “Why so many?”

“For the tree, the fireplace, the doorways, the walls…”

Iruka came in and pointed at another box.

“And this one holds the angel for the tree!” He beamed.

Honestly, Kakashi smiled and thought, the sweetest angel just came into the room.

4 Likes

Ornament:

Iruka opened the first box and started pulling out ornaments. For some he had stories to share from Christmases past.

When he pulled out a particular ornament, he stilled and his voice fell away.

“Iruka?” Kakashi queried.

Kakashi looked over and was concerned about the look on Iruka’s face. He came over, knelt down beside him, and put an arm around his shoulders.

“This one was my mother’s favourite.”

Iruka’s voice was so quiet, Kakashi could hardly hear it over the music.

“I haven’t seen it in years. I actually thought it had been broken. Dad must have saved it.”

4 Likes

String:

“Oh! I almost forgot!”

Iruka dashed out of the room.

With all they had here, Kakashi couldn’t begin to imagine what could be missing.

The sound of cupboard doors opening and slamming shut. Little things hitting the floor. The whirr of a motor. Oh. Popcorn.

Popcorn? What did that have to do with Christmas?

Admittedly, Christmas had been a low-key affair, at best, in Kakashi’s family. This first Christmas with Iruka was eye-opening. Kakashi wandered into the kitchen.

“What do we need popcorn for?”

“Can you please go grab a sewing kit from the bathroom? We need popcorn strings, too!”

:christmas_tree:

It won’t let me post the rest individually, so…

Warning: discussion of a previous death in the family at Christmas.

Lights:

When Kakashi brought the bowl of popcorn into the living room, Iruka was opening a box full of Christmas lights. They would be a myriad of colours when lit.

Iruka was frowning and muttering.

“What’s wrong?”

Iruka sighed heavily.

“The last time Dad and I packed these up was a couple of weeks after Mom died. She loved Christmas so much. We all did… do… but I was so upset when we were packing up — I ripped the lights off the tree and threw them in the box.”

“They’re all tangled now.” His eyes teared.

Kakashi hugged Iruka tightly.

Star:

Kakashi held Iruka for a while. When Iruka loosened his hold, Kakashi gently suggested, “We can go for a walk and do this tomorrow night.”

Iruka drew in a shuddery breath and gave a tremulous smile.

“I think I’d like to go for a walk, just a short one. I’d still like to decorate the tree tonight.”

Another hug and they bundled into winter gear. Outside was fresh and chilly. There was a sliver of moon in the clear sky.

Kakashi stopped on the walk out front.

“Look, Iruka! We can see every star in the sky!”

Iruka smiled brightly.

Garland:

The whole neighbourhood looked ready for Christmas. Their short walk became a meander. They wandered up and down streets, holding hands and looking at the yards.

“Look at that one!” Iruka called out.

The yard he pointed to was filled with inflatable Santas, snowmen, and reindeer. Floodlights shone on everything and Christmas music blared from hidden speakers.

“How has no one filed a noise complaint?!”

“They must shut it down before 10.”

“I prefer that one.”

Kakashi pointed to the house next-door. It had simple lighted garlands draped over their patio rails and a simply decorated tree in the window.

Presents:

The tree was decorated. There were evergreen branches and stockings above the fireplace. The air smelled of sweets — cookies, tarts, chocolate. Somehow, it didn’t clash with the smell of the tree. Kakashi wasn’t quite sure how that worked.

Kakashi had squirrelled presents away where Iruka (hopefully!) wouldn’t find them. He knew better than to look for his own. Iruka’s retaliation after he’d pulled out his birthday gift early didn’t bear thinking about.

“Is it time?” He called out.

“Think you’ve got the self-control to bring it out yet?”

This was the present Kakashi had really been waiting for: mistletoe!

Tinsel:

This stuff had to be worse than glitter. There was no way he should still be finding it in their home. They’d packed all the Christmas things away months ago!

And how on earth did tinsel end up in his hair?! The stuff was too big to hang around in the air, unseen, for weeks!

A giggle.

Kakashi growled and spun around quickly.

Iruka darted down the hall. The chase was on!

Eventually, Kakashi caught his prankster partner. He wrapped his arms around Iruka and tickled.

“I yield! No more tinsel around the house, I promise!”

Kakashi kissed him gratefully.

4 Likes