Fic Recs: Idiots In Love Edition

Hey there! Our monthly fic rec is back; and this time our theme is Idiots In Love! We’ve found a great selection of fics for you to enjoy, featuring all kinds of interesting stories!

If you have some recs that aren’t there, including your own fics, please share them to your heart’s content!

Please also take a look at our posting guidelines if you’re not sure what you can and cannot post on this thread (and to learn how to gain access to the Lemon Bar if you are 18+)! And more importantly, double check the tags on these recs to make sure you don’t end up reading something you don’t want to!

We hope you like this month’s edition!

:chruheartkiss: :joukashiheartkiss:

This beating heart won’t rest (3556 words) by NKI_Stories
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Naruto
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Minor Maito Gai | Might Guy/Yamato | Tenzou
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Yamato | Tenzou
Additional Tags: Getting Together, Falling In Love, Confessions, Kakashi is an idiot, Hokage Kakashi, Headmaster Iruka, Post War, Idiots in Love, Fluff, Kakashi is a self-doubting fool
Summary:

“No! You are not boring at all and I like to see you weekly—I mean—for the meetings…” Kakashi quickly interrupted—stuttering like a fool. Iruka was now looking at him with wide eyes and mouth agape.

Shit! Taking a deep breath, Kakashi tried again.

“My apologies Iruka-Sensei. I let my eyes wander—I mean my thoughts. I don’t think it is necessary to reschedule our meetings.”

Favor (1735 words) by Alyssa_Allyrion
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka
Additional Tags: First Kiss, Rain, Kissing in the Rain, Fluff, Idiots in Love, KakaIru Month 2021
Series: Part 6 of KakaIru Month fics
Summary:

When Kakashi woke up that morning, he had no intention of helping a certain sensei carry two large crates full of ancient tomes on Konoha history from the Archives to the Academy. Yet, somehow, he finds himself doing exactly that.

Written for KakaIru Month 2021 Day 11 Prompt: Rain.

starlight and starcrossed (1043 words) by NianaiBell
Rating: Not Rated
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi, Pakkun (Naruto)
Additional Tags: KakaIru Month 2021, Day 31, Weddings, Idiots in Love, Lists, Probably ooc, Fluff, mentions of Gai, Maybe some OOC-ness, Mostly Fluff, Not Beta Read, whoops, Sappy as hell
Series: Part 7 of The Scarecrow and Dolphin Misadventures May
Summary:

On their wedding day, a long-held secret is revealed.

You’re Late (1824 words) by outstorm
Rating: General Audiences
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Umino Iruka & Uzumaki Naruto, Hatake Kakashi & Uzumaki Naruto
Additional Tags: Lovesick Hatake Kakashi, Awkward Hatake Kakashi, Pining Hatake Kakashi, Fluff, Domestic Fluff, Meet-Cute, Idiots in Love
Series: Part 1 of Neighbours to Lovers
Summary:

It’s 6 AM and Iruka hasn’t moved from where he fell asleep on the dinner table, pen still in hand. He’s going to be late if he doesn’t get up soon. Kakashi should probably go knock on his door. It’s the neighbourly thing to do, of course. It has nothing to do with his crush.

“The course of true love never did run smooth.” (8244 words) by hkandi
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi & Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi & Yamato | Tenzou, Mitarashi Anko & Umino Iruka, Sarutobi Asuma/Yuuhi Kurenai, Hatake Kakashi & Uzumaki Naruto
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Yamato | Tenzou, Mitarashi Anko, Shiranui Genma, Maito Gai | Might Guy, Yuuhi Kurenai, Sarutobi Asuma, Ramen - Character, Uzumaki Naruto
Additional Tags: Kakairu Discord event, Idiots in Love, Pining, Mutual Pining, It all works out though!, Campfires, Anbu Yamato | Tenzou, Halloween!, Let’s all wear costumes!, fall/autumn, Hatake Kakashi is Bad at Feelings, Umino Iruka is Bad at Feelings, communication is key!, Kakairu Discord Fall Exchange, Complete
Summary:

Kakashi and Iruka are dancing around each other, trying to find a good opportunity to ask the other out. But Kakashi is full of doubt, and Iruka learns some mis-information…will the timing ever be good? Have they missed their chance?

Pterrible at Flirting (5257 words) by kageillusionz
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Umino Iruka & Uzumaki Naruto, Hagane Kotetsu/Kamizuki Izumo, Namiashi Raidou/Shiranui Genma
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Uzumaki Naruto, Hagane Kotetsu, Kamizuki Izumo, Namiashi Raidou, Shiranui Genma, Original Inuzuka Character(s), Dai-nana-han | Team 7 (Naruto), Ebisu (Naruto), Tsubame (Naruto)
Additional Tags: Humour, Fluff, Pre-Slash, Pre-Relationship, Museums, Excursión, Hatake Kakashi is a Troll, Idiots in Love, Falling In Love, Puns & Word Play, Found Family, Flirting, No Beta We Die Like Ninja, Slice of Life
Summary:

Iruka is a firm believer of a well-rounded education for all his pre-genin class. He is painfully aware that his kids are also magnets for trouble. As a result, Iruka has a plan that consists of mostly bribery. If his mischievous class manages to behave with minimal maiming of each other and their teacher, he will take them on an excursion to Konoha’s Museum of Natural History to see some dinosaurs.
But sometimes things don’t go according to plan, least of all when the museum guide turns out to be none other than Team 7’s jounin sensei.

kiss me in the pouring rain (1370 words) by Revalio898
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Yamato | Tenzou
Additional Tags: Alternate Universe - College/University, Idiots in Love, Fluff, Jealous!Kakashi, college!kakashi, and they were lab partners, tenzo needs another drink
Summary:

Kakashi has a gigantic crush on his hot lab partner, and he’s had a bit too much to drink. Chaos ensues…

College/University AU, one-shot

Came For The Muscles, Stayed For The… (1724 words) by upset_and_confused
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Maito Gai | Might Guy, Momochi Zabuza, Uzumaki Naruto
Additional Tags: instagram au, Kakashi Is An Instagram Fitness Model, Zabuza and Gai are Gymrats, Awkwardness, Awkward Flirting, Idiots in Love, Flirting, Misunderstandings
Summary:

Kakashi Hatake started training thirteen year old Naruto three months ago and Iruka had been staring at his Instagram ever since the day the personal trainer/Instagram fitness model had posted a video of Naruto sparring with him. The big issue was that Iruka had a very serious crush on the a guy who already had two guys on his arm.

Guess what? (808 words) by NathTE
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi
Additional Tags: Romance, Light Angst, Fluff, Iruka was ready to punch him, Idiots in Love, Mutual Pining, Author wrote this while sleepy, Filling a Prompt of a Prompt generator, Kakashi is an idiot, Don’t copy to another site
Summary:

A night out between Iruka and Kakashi should be easy, should be relaxing. But well… Nothing was really like that with them, right?

You Smile And I’m Home (398 words) by MagnusTesla
Additional Tags: Fluff, Idiots in Love, Dorks in Love, Love, Tumblr Prompt, Ficlet, Community: kakairu, Established Relationship
Series: Part 4 of Shorts, Ficlets & Tumblr Prompts
Summary:

For Tumblr Prompt: 50 Ways To Say I Love You

#18 - Sharing A Soft Smile Across A Crowd

After a long mission, there is someone Kakashi can’t wait to see.

Here’s a few of my own Idiots In Love fics :eyes:

1. Clueless (Rating: Teen, CW: None, WC: 3.8k)

Kakashi and Iruka went on a date, except only one of them knew that’s what it was. And now Kakashi has to tell Iruka how he feels.

1. Happy Ending (Rating: Gen, CW: None, WC: 2.5k)

Iruka has spent his life searching for the love of his life - a stranger who accidentally bumped him when he was young; but although he gets hints of their whereabouts by a strange sensation that flares up in his body, he’s never been able to find them.

It doesn’t help, either, that Kakashi always seems to be there, interrupting his search…

1. Presents (Rating: Teen, CW: None, WC: 10.2k)

Kakashi’s ninken keep randomly appearing before Iruka each day to give him a present; and whilst he’s found a hidden message amongst the gifts, he has no idea what Kakashi’s intentions are.

What is Kakashi up to, and why is he suddenly the most impossible person to find?