Fic Recs: ANBU Edition

We apologise for the lateness of July’s fic recs! We got lost on the road of life… Or more accurately, lost in all the kakairu maze creations! :wink: Anyway, our monthly fic rec is back; and this time our theme is ANBU! We’ve found a great selection of fics for you to enjoy, featuring all kinds of interesting stories!

If you have some recs that aren’t there, including your own fics, please share them to your heart’s content!

Please also take a look at our posting guidelines if you’re not sure what you can and cannot post on this thread (and to learn how to gain access to the Lemon Bar if you are 18+)! And more importantly, double check the tags on these recs to make sure you don’t end up reading something you don’t want to!

We hope you like this month’s edition!

Shatter Me (2101 words) by thechaoscryptid
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Naruto
Rating: Mature
Warnings: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka
Additional Tags: Anbu Hatake Kakashi, Angst and Hurt/Comfort, Angst with a Happy Ending, Mental Health Issues, Implied Sexual Content, breakdown - Freeform, Iruka’s a good bean, Kakashi’s emotionally constipated, it all works out in the end
Series: Part 19 of Catharsis
Summary:

Floodgates open and as Iruka quiets him, Kakashi clings. In this room, on this bed, the outside matters no longer. He knows he shouldn’t fall this quickly, shouldn’t give into temptation and let Iruka smooth over every edge with calloused hands and reassuring whispers. He knows. He knows but he can’t stop it now, can’t stop the shaking that threatens to consume him as he comes down from the high of being.

i didn’t need the stars to know i love you (15543 words) by citronnes
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Relationships: Hatake Kakashi/Umino Iruka, Mizuki/Umino Iruka (past)
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi, Mizuki (Naruto)
Additional Tags: Alternate Universe - Soulmates, Alternate Universe - Canon Divergence, Anbu Umino Iruka, Implied Sexual Content, Implied/Referenced Rape/Non-con, Implied/Referenced Cheating, possible ooc, Happy Ending
Summary:

iruka can’t read the name on his wrist.

Strange Jutsus and Where to Find Them (14413 words) by Kaappihomosapiens
Chapters: 5/5
Rating: Not Rated
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi, Ppl whose names i don’t remember
Additional Tags: Injury, Injury Recovery, Poor Iruka has to suffer for my kinks, weird timeline, i haven’t watched or read the series in years, I try, ANBU!Kakashi, chakra depletion
Summary:

It was supposed to be the last, easy mission before Iruka could start teaching at the academy. But life isn’t that easy, and when he gets hit by a strange jutsu he has to adapt being dependent on Hatake Kakashi of all people.

He should get a prize from not killing a jounin.

Clarity (8096 words) by Antoinette95
Rating: Mature
Warnings: Graphic Depictions Of Violence
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Uchiha Itachi, Yamato | Tenzou, Sarutobi Hiruzen, Sarutobi Asuma, Pakkun (Naruto), Original Characters
Additional Tags: Kidnapping, Canon-Typical Violence, Alternate Universe - Pre-Canon, Anbu Hatake Kakashi, Teen Romance, Angst with a Happy Ending, First Kiss, First Meetings, BAMF Umino Iruka, BAMF Hatake Kakashi
Summary:

In response to the prompt: “FIRST MEETING. Bonus points if it was when Kakashi was in ANBU”

The important thing is that you’re safe.” His grip tightened on Iruka for a moment, as if to reassure himself that his words were true. “You’re safe. With me,” he repeated softly.

Something Borrowed (11054 words) by HazelBeka
Additional Tags: Anbu Hatake Kakashi, Anbu Umino Iruka, seals master Iruka, Mission Fic, Haunting, Possession, ANBU moonlighting as ghost hunters, Fake/Pretend Relationship, Fake Marriage, a fun spooky romp, Pre-Relationship, Romantic Comedy, Podfic, Podfic Length: 1-1.5 Hours, podfic and written fic included together
Summary:

Iruka absolutely does not believe in ghosts. So he’s not impressed when he’s sent with Kakashi on an ANBU mission to banish a ghost who has allegedly been possessing brides on their wedding days.

Between the ghost hunting (which is not in Iruka’s job description, for the record) and Kakashi’s outrageous flirting, Iruka was already reaching dangerous levels of sass. But then Kakashi comes up with the bright idea that they should pretend they’re a couple to lure out the ghost. And not just any couple – a bride and groom, about to be happily married.

If anyone tries to put Iruka in a dress, the ghost will be the least of their problems.

Wolf-san (3634 words) by Akkina
Chapters: 3/3
Rating: General Audiences
Warnings: Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Additional Tags: Anbu Hatake Kakashi
Summary:

Standing under the sakura tree in the courtyard of his building was an ANBU. Not a good thing to see on a normal occasion, but to have one lingering directly in Iruka’s path to his front door? It really wasn’t his day…

Recommended for Admission (24958 words) by pentapus
Rating: Not Rated
Characters: Umino Iruka, Hatake Kakashi, Uzumaki Naruto, Haruno Sakura, Nara Shikamaru, Sai (Naruto), Yuuhi Kurenai, Tsunade (Naruto), Nara Shikaku, Yamato | Tenzou, ANBU
Additional Tags: so much ANBU, how to spot a naruto story by me, all ANBU and no sex, schemes, and secrets, Everybody Lives, except for the bad guys
Summary:

The war ends. Iruka gets promoted. Things go differently for Kakashi.

Anything Could Happen (1466 words) by menecio
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Umino Iruka, Sarutobi Hiruzen
Additional Tags: First Meetings, Anbu Hatake Kakashi, Teenagers, POV Outsider, Gen or Pre-Slash, Pre-Relationship, Blanket Permission
Series: Part 2 of We Fall Into the River
Summary:

The Sandaime witnesses Iruka and Kakashi’s first meeting when they are teens. It’s an interesting event, to say the least.

Trapped (1375 words) by Cyhyr
Characters: Hatake Kakashi, Tsunade (Naruto), Maito Gai | Might Guy, Yamato | Tenzou, Umino Iruka, ANBU (Naruto)
Additional Tags: Time Loop, Anbu Umino Iruka, Hallucinations, Genjutsu, Fuuinjutsu Master Umino Iruka
Series: Part 10 of Summer of Whump 2021
Summary:

Something is wrong. Kakashi wakes up and doesn’t remember going to bed. Hell, he doesn’t remember most of what happened the past few weeks.

Epic First Kiss (2838 words) by Elevensquared
Additional Tags: Iruka is 12, Kakashi is 16, Anbu Hatake Kakashi, Underage Kissing, nothing graphic i promise, kkir25, Day 1 - First Kiss
Series: Part 1 of 25 Days of Kisses
Summary:

Iruka just wants his first kiss to be memorable.

For the KakaIru 25 Days of Kisses, Day 1- First Kiss.

I have one of my own fics to share :eyes: It’s a favourite of mine :heart:

Letters to an ANBU

Rating: Teen & Up, CW: None, Word Count: 3.9k

Summary:

Iruka’s classmates didn’t think he would receive a reply from an ANBU. Then two weeks later, he did…

And that’s when he met Hound.