Creator Spotlight: hkandi

We are excited to introduce our next shining star for the Creator Spotlight… @hkandi!

This is a member’s only activity where we reach out to one of the talented people in our community each month to find out all about them and their kakairu creations, and then show them off to the world!

We hope you enjoy learning about hkandi & her creations as much as we did. Please give her some love :chruheartkiss: :lovebomb: :joukashiheartkiss:

Pronouns: She/Her

Type of Creator: Writer

Where to find her:

1. hkandi | Archive of Our Own
  2. https://hkandiu.tumblr.com/

1. How long have you been creating KakaIru fanworks?

I started writing them in 2018 but first posted in 2019.

2. What are you working on right now?

So much! A summer story I’ve been thinking about for a while, two stories for the KakaIru Reverse Big Bang, and some non-Naruto stories for other events (Marvel fandom!) as well as making notes for others for later in the year…

3. What is your favourite trope to create for?

I think I’m known for happy pieces lol! I like to think I write humor, slice of life, first meetings, early relationships, and happy endings.

4. Which of your creations is your favourite, and why?

They’re all my children and equally favorite haha!

5. Do you have any WIPs you’re excited about?

The summer story I mentioned, I thought about it for almost two years but I wanted to be able to post it for the summer and so it had to wait as it hadn’t even been started last year. And an October/Halloween story that I’m pretty excited for! Ah, and one that is fully fleshed out in my mind, a modern AU that I need to find time to write! I’ve also got notes for tropes for Kakashi and Iruka that I’ve written before but now am going to spin around for a few stories, so keep an eye out for that!

6. Do you have any original characters? If so, tell us about them!

I don’t think I do, if I need consistent background people the established characters interact with I may just give them names rather than general titles. The most I probably did for an OC was in my ANBU Hinata story (“Hinata’s Other Side”) because she was in a whole new world for herself and had several regular people working with her. Fortunately, most were always in ANBU gear so I didn’t have to create a lot for them beyond a name and some basic physical attributes haha!

7. What was your hardest piece to create, and why?

Familiar Yet Different” was challenging because it was for an exchange and the recipient was interested in time travel, which I hadn’t written before. “Language Barrier? What language barrier?” was also challenging because in that exchange the recipient was interested in Naruto character pairings/groups I wasn’t really familiar with though had listed as options to write. It was my first time writing Sasuke/Naruto and took some time to figure out but I’m really pleased with how it came out! That’s one reason I like to do exchanges though, to open myself up to other characters/tropes/etc that I may not normally write otherwise. So thanks to everyone who organises any events, and anyone can always drop a line in my tumblr for ideas/requests you have!

8. Do you have any favourite scenes from something you’ve created?

Too many! I like a bunch of the scenes in “A Shinobi’s Christmas Carol”, where I re-told Charles Dickens’ story for Kakashi and his life. It was fun to find ways to integrate the world and characters but keep the general story alive. I also enjoy Halloween stories I write as I try to come up with what costumes any character would wear, and to try to find new ones I haven’t written for them before. And the entirety of “If you don’t take a chance, how will you know?” because I think it’s a fun and warm story, and the title is a phrase I remind myself of often when facing challenges or questions.

9. Where does your inspiration come from?

I’m not sure…interactions with people, things I see or hear. I generally just let my mind wander about a story and wait for things to come to me, rushing to make notes before I forget them!

10. Which of your creations is the most meaningful to you, and why?

That Time At Voyeur Nightclub” will always hold a special place for me as it was the first one I fully finished before I started to post anything, though my actual first story I posted is also special, a Valentine’s Day one (“Konoha Valentine’s”) - it was so exciting to actually see my work online! I still get a thrill from it and can never believe it’s real every time I post something, and I’m always grateful and appreciative of the support I get from readers!